The pharmacist/health care provider/preceptor:
- Must be licensed and in good standing in the state where they practice according to
the Florida Board of Pharmacy or other health care provider regulatory boards.
- Shall be ineligible to serve as a preceptor during any period in which the professional
license to practice is revoked, suspended, on probation, or subject to the ongoing
- Must willingly accept the responsibility for the professional guidance and teaching
of the student pharmacist.
- Must participate in the FAMU CoPPS, IPH orientation and devote time to periodic preceptor
training sessions and the instruction of the student pharmacist. This requirement
would consist of at least two to three discussion hours per week in addition to supervised
- Must have a syllabus for the experience that carries the goals and objectives of the
College. Once approved by the instructional site director, this syllabus must be uploaded
to the preceptor's Pharm Academic account.
- Must provide evidence of a hunger to continue to broaden their professional education
by presenting evidence of participation in continuing professional education programs
to an extent over minimum requirements for licensure or re-licensure.
- Must agree to assist the College of Pharmacy in achieving the educational objectives
outlined in this manual and providing a professional environment for the student pharmacist.
- The pharmacist must demonstrate an interest in promoting intra-and inter-professional
relationships by regular participation in local, state, and national professional
organizations; and by collaborating with other health professionals (in institutional
settings) in providing rational drug therapy and improved professional experiences
for pharmacy and other health professions students.
- Is open for practice at least 40 hours per week.
- Is free from State Board of Pharmacy, Drug Enforcement Administration, and FDA violations
involving penalty for at least five (5) years (except in the case of a pharmacy under
new management in which case prior penalties will be disregarded) and does not employ
any pharmacist who has been charged and found guilty of violations of any State Board
of Pharmacy regulations or those of the Drug Enforcement Administration.
- Dispenses an adequate number of prescriptions annually by the nature of the community
- Possess a standard professional reference library, which meets minimum standards set
by the Board of Pharmacy and includes both reference texts and the major pharmaceutical
journals. All areas of the pharmacy must appear clean, organized, and reflect a professional
Before one’s selection, all preceptors will provide the requested data by completing
the necessary documentation on the College’s website and the CORE website. There will
also be a personal interview conducted by the pharmacy practice center director or
the director of experiential programs. Where the pharmacy is not owned by the preceptor
applicant, the owner or owner’s representative will also be interviewed to determine
whether the preceptor will be provided the latitude for effecting a quality pharmacy
practice experience for the student pharmacist in that facility.