TESTIMONIAL:  Learner Receives Boston Medical Center’s (BMC) first-ever All-In APPE Scholarship
15 Feb

TESTIMONIAL: Learner Receives Boston Medical Center’s (BMC) first-ever All-In APPE Scholarship

We ask a number of our Pharmacy and Public Health learners to tell us about their experiences at CoPPS, IPH. Here are their stories:

The illustrious Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University has been nothing short of an overflowing fountain of opportunity since I arrived on campus in 2018. Since then, as a third-year pharmacy student, I have been challenged academically with the rigorous curriculum, and I have been fortunate enough to experience some fruitful opportunities. I recently received a newsletter detailing an opportunity to apply for Boston Medical Center’s (BMC) first-ever All-In APPE Scholarship. This amazing opportunity was presented to my classmates and me by Dr. Brickler, our Director of Experiential Programs. As soon as I read the scholarship information, I knew that I wanted to apply. This scholarship was created for Black and Indigenous People of Color (BIPOC) outside of the New England area to complete two consecutive 6-week rotations at BMC, with a stipend provided. After doing my research, I found out that 57% of BMC’s patients are from underserved communities, and they are the largest safety-net hospital in the New England area. As a future pharmacist, I want to impact underserved communities and work towards health equity and better health outcomes for these patients, so I knew that this scholarship was right for me. The idea of being one of the first students to receive such an honor and represent my HBCU at the same time was the icing on the cake.

After my application was submitted, I was contacted for an interview, and shortly after, I was awarded the scholarship on January 12, 2021. Being able to say that I will be completing my advanced community and ambulatory care rotations at BMC, a top hospital in the nation, is still so unbelievable to me. I am so excited to showcase what FAMU has taught me over the years in and out of the classroom and to create a lane for the future Rattlers to come. I would like to complete a residency after graduating. I know that this opportunity will give me the tools to succeed and help me achieve my goal of working with underserved communities. I appreciate both BMC for the chance and FAMU for the knowledge and confidence to take my abilities to new heights. I am excited for what the future holds!

~ Camryn Joseph, P3 Learner Orlando, FL

About the Author